Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How do I keep squirels and birds out of the garden?

I've had good results with a chicken wire fence for keeping the squirrels out, if they climb it, bend the top over (and out toward the outside of the garden) at a 45 degree angle so they get stuck under it and can't climb in. I dug down about 6 inches before installing the wire to be sure there was no chance of crawling under. This has also solved my rabbit and groundhog problem. Also, laying chicken wire on the ground around plants sometimes works, some squirrels won't walk/dig if they have to cross chicken wire. That has worked best for my flower bulbs which they seem to think I buy for them to snack on. If you don't mind the smell and you keep them a safe distance from edible plants moth balls can be a deterent. They will dissolve after a while. (I'll be honest, that was my least favorite attempt). For birds I've used aluminum pie plates tied on strings strung around the garden. Anything that might scare them you could try. It helps to change it every so often so they don't get too comfortable and realize it's not going to hurt them. I'm putting a few links in the sources box from a company I've ordered from with good results as well. Good luck!How do I keep squirels and birds out of the garden?
Colorful metalic ribbon is suppose to deter them, its sold in all garden centers. You can add a netting ';canopy'; over the garden too as long as its easy for you to get in %26amp; out. Having a cat is helpful but only if it will stay in your garden area.How do I keep squirels and birds out of the garden?
u really cant unless u know how to project a forcefield....
You can try to place feeders away from the garden, not to far away though. We used colorful pinwheels, that scared the away when the wind blew. Wind chimes could work too. Good Luck
Kindly ask them to leave.
Build a conservatory over your whole garden, it is the only way.


Or try asking them nicely ???
Chili powder or any other hot spice!





I have a shade garden that includes a large walnut tree. I could write a book on squirrels.


Most are looking for food, or want to bury some. Chili powder isn't a pleasant thing to get up the nose. However you must re-treat after each rain. After a while you won't need to use a much, squirrels will move on to the next yard, only occasional checking on yours to see if it's still peppered.





Birds are a bit harder. Plastic snakes, things that move in the wind, lack of place to perch are some of the more common tricks.
  • top 10 myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment