Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How do I keep birds and squirels away from my sprouts I am trying to grow poppies,can pepper keep them away.?

Is there anything to keep animals away from sprouts or prevent birds or squirels from eating the seeds or destroying the bedding ground where I am planting my seeds. They are becoming so annoying .How do I keep birds and squirels away from my sprouts I am trying to grow poppies,can pepper keep them away.?
Use netting. If the mesh is small enough the birds and squirrels wont be able to get through it. Keep the neighbours cat away as well.How do I keep birds and squirels away from my sprouts I am trying to grow poppies,can pepper keep them away.?
Yeah they make me crazy.





There are sprays, and you could try cayaene (sp?) peper sprinkled around. The good sprays do work, but still need to be applied every now and then. And may not work. I had little success that wat.





I found it much easier to just make hardware cloth covers for my seedbeds. Or just made small chickenwire fences around where I want the plants to grow.


Once the plants are bigger they usually leave them alone.





Also helps to provide some food for the birds. Maybe for the squirrels. Depends on the squirrels. Most animals will learn if you take the time to teach them.


The ground squirrels I have here I just put out rat blocks, that are only poisonous to certain rodents. Won't be poison after they eat it. But that is the horrid ground squirrels here.


Oddly the chipmunks are not effected by the stuff. And are nice little things to have around. (Except when I have a headache and they make that chirp!.)
you can try the old pie plates in the area. or something shiney.


maybe a pretty set of wind chimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment