Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Are squirels eating the cat food i leave out for strays?

ive noticed a feral colony of cats by my house in the past few months. recently i havent seen them but the wet food i leave out is still being eaten. i didnt expect that squirrels would eat meat but have read thy will scavenge about anything.Are squirels eating the cat food i leave out for strays?
I don't think squirrels are carniverous.





Could it be racoons?Are squirels eating the cat food i leave out for strays?
Probably raccoons. They love the stuff.
They may come by at night when you don't see them.





But it could be birds too - you wouldn't think of it but some birds do eat meat. Seagulls do and of course vultures. LOL - it tickles me to think of vultures in an urban neighborhood.





But I digress. I've even see Starlings eating meat. I have been known to put canned food out on occasion for our strays and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them eating it! They look like your average bird who eats seeds, but there they were eating meat.
It might be raccoons. They eat the cats and the food too.
Squirrels are not meat eaters that I know of. You are probably attracting rats and even some birds that are meat eaters. Possum also eat meat, and skunks. No telling what you are attracting. It's never good to feed feral cats, all though your intentions are good.
Why would you take care of feral cats? They carry disease. You must like that around your house. I surely wouldn't. Feral cats will eventually be rummaging thru your garbage, crapping all over your lawn, eating your songbirds (if there are any around), and generally multiplying in your area. I'm almost positive that if you have any neighbors that they hate you for that. Give to charitys, not stray, nasty cats.
I see racoons and possums eating cat food that i leave out for the strays
I am not to sure about the squirrels eating it but I know that wild birds will eat cat food at every opportunity. I have flocks of birds that live by feeding themselves from my raccoon cage.


~Tyed~


We have tons of squirrels out there as well but I have never seen them go for the dog or cat food. They sure do speed through the peacock and wild bird food though!

5 comments:

  1. Just saw my squirrels lounging atop the recycling and trash bins like it was a day spa. That's new. I had put some suet up there so the critters wouldn't eat it. Well they found it. AND atop that one has developed a fondness for the cheap outdoor cat food I leave out for the strays/ferrals who have become mine. (I'm a sucker, can't you see it?) So squirrels, will eat cat food. I nearly fell over seeing this for the first time. Not all squirrels, but it is spring and these guys seem hella hungry for whatever reason. I feel bad for them. I threw out more sunflower seeds, but the one is gung-ho on the Walmart special cat food. Glad someone likes my budget purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I BOUGHT THE BLUE CAT FOOD FOR MY HOLLAND AND HE DSNT LIKE IT. BUT HE DOES LOVE THIER SOFT FOOD.I WONDER IF THE SQUIRRELS WILL LIKE IT BUT IT IS $18 A BAG SO THEY WOULD ONLY GET IT ONCE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HEARD BLUE JAYS LIKE DOG FOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen blue jays take off with dead mice so they are definitely carnivores.

      Delete
  4. I have seen squirrels, birds, and raccoons out eating the dry cat food for the strays.

    ReplyDelete