Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How can i keep squirels and birds out of my tomatoes and peppers plants?

I went to the hardware store and purchased ';hardware cloth';, a fine metal mesh like chicken wire. I made cylinders out of them about 14'; in diameter and 2 1/2 ft tall and put them around my veggies, and my coneflower and delphinium as the bunnies were enjoying them too much.How can i keep squirels and birds out of my tomatoes and peppers plants?
Hot pepper sprayHow can i keep squirels and birds out of my tomatoes and peppers plants?
Any kind of netting around your plants will keep out the birds, but squirrels (tree rats) are more curious and will eat thru anything but metal. Fortunately, hot pepper sprays will turn them off.





Mix about a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid with 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Mix that into a clean quart spray bottle with water and spray it on your plants. Reapply after any heavy rain, or every 10 days or so. The good news is that it will also help control the insects on your plants. Just be sure to wash the fruit well before eating.
Hang C.D.'s around in the garden.They last longer than tin pie pans.
Take chicken wire and wood and make a box around them that's what I do to my garden items that the little critters love.

No comments:

Post a Comment